Security Council Press Statements 2020
- Security Council Press Statetement on Yemen on 16/10/2020, The members of the Security Council reiterated that only an inclusive political solution can end the conflict in Yemen and emphasised their steadfast support for UN Special Envoy Martin Griffiths. They urged the parties to urgently endorse the UN-facilitated Joint Declaration proposals without delay in order to achieve an inclusive and sustainable peace. They stressed the need for urgent agreement to the Joint Declaration to enable negotiation of a comprehensive transitional agreement to end the conflict where power is shared among diverse political and social components. They underlined the importance of an inclusive political process allowing for the full and effective participation of women and youth. They called for the swift resumption of talks between the parties, in full engagement with the mediation led by the UN Special Envoy.
- Dian Triansyah Djani (Indonesia) on Yemen - Security Council Media Stakeout on 18/08/2020, On 18 August, UN Special Envoy Griffiths, General Guha, and Assistant Secretary General a.i. Ramesh Rajasingham, briefed the Security Council about their plans to make urgent progress towards the UN’s peace proposals and in tackling the international funding crisis, which is severely limiting the humanitarian response.
- The Council emphasised their steadfast support for Griffiths and called on the parties to urgently endorse the UN’s proposals to achieve sustainable peace as set out in relevant United Nations resolutions, including resolution 2216 (2015), as well as by the Gulf Cooperation Council initiative and its implementation mechanism and the outcome of the National Dialogue Conference. They welcomed the announcement on 28 July of renewed implementation of the Riyadh Agreement, mediated by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, which will be a necessary step towards a sustainable peace and welcomed the efforts of Saudi Arabia in this regard.
- The members of the Security Council reiterated their endorsement of the Secretary-General’s call of 25 March for those fighting in Yemen to immediately cease hostilities and emphasized their steadfast support for Special Envoy Martin Griffiths and his efforts to reach agreement on a nationwide ceasefire, humanitarian and economic measures, and the resumption of an inclusive Yemeni-led and Yemeni-owned political process.
- Security Council Press Statement on Yemen on 30/01/2020, The Members of the Security Council expressed their serious concern at the significant escalation of violence in Nehm and Al Jawf and its impact on civilians, thousands of whom had been displaced in recent days.
Security Council Press Statements 2019
- Security Council Press Statement on Yemen on 6/11/2019, welcoming the signing of the Riyadh Agreement between the GoY and the STC on 5 November 2019. The Members of the Security Council recognised that this agreement represents a positive and important step towards a comprehensive and inclusive political solution for Yemen, and reiterated their full support for the efforts of the Special Envoy for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, to work with the Yemeni parties to pave the way for the resumption of comprehensive and inclusive negotiations.
- Security Council Press Statement on Yemen on 10/06/2019, underlining the full support of the members of the Security Council for Special Envoy of the Secretary-General for Yemen, Martin Griffiths, and calling on the parties to engage constructively and continuously with the Special Envoy. The members commended the efforts of the Special Envoy to support the parties to implement the Stockholm Agreement and to promote a political solution in Yemen.
- Security Council Press Statement on Yemen on 22/02/2019 calling on the warring parties in Yemen to immediately implement a deal to pull their forces out of three key ports and a key grain depot.
- Security Council Press Statement on Yemen on 04/02/2019 reiterating the endorsement of the SC members of the agreements reached by the Government of Yemen and the Houthis in December 2018 on the city and governorate of Hodeidah and the ports of Hodeidah, Salif and Ras Issa; an executive mechanism on the prisoner exchange agreement; and a statement of understanding on Taiz, as set out in the Stockholm Agreement, circulated as S/2018/1134.
Security Council Press Statements 2018
- Security Council Press Statement on 28/3/2018, condemning in the strongest possible terms the multiple Houthi missile attacks, including the use of ballistic missiles, targeting several cities of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Security Council Press Statement on 05/09/2018, on United Nations Consultations with Yemeni Parties, expressing full support for the UN-led political process in Yemen and the efforts of the Special Envoy of the Secretary-General to bring about a political settlement.
Security Council Press Statements 2017
Security Council Press Statement on Yemen on 10/10/2017: Yemen Parties pursuing futile and cruel military conflict, as Influential leaders seek power rather than solutions, Special Envoy tells Security Council
Security Council Press Statements 2016
- Security Council Press Statement on Yemen 04/10/2016, condemning an attack by Houthi forces on a United Arab Emirates vessel operating near Bab al-Mandeb on 1 October
- Security Council Press Statement on Yemen 08/9/2016, urging parties to resume consultations immediately without preconditions and in good faith, and to recommit to and fully respect the terms and conditions of the Cessation of Hostilities
- Security Council Press Statement on Announcemenet of Cessation of Hostilities in Yemen 23/3/2016
- Security Council Press Statement on Situation in Yemen 18/2/2016
- Security Council Press Statement on Situation in Yemen 23/12/2015
- Security Council Press Statement on Yemen 23/10/2015
- Security Council Press Statement on Yemen 12/5/2015
- Security Council Press Statement on Bomb Attacks in Yemen 20/3/2015
- Security Council Press Statement on Yemen 20/3/2015
- Security Council Press Statement on Yemen 25/2/2015
- Security Council Press Statement on Yemen 20/1/2015
- Security Council Press Statement on Yemen 7/1/2015
- Press Statement condemning the bomb attacks in Radaa on 16 December 2014 (17 December 2014)
- Press Statement condemning the bomb attack on 9 October 2014 in Sana'a (10 October 2014)
- Press Statement welcoming the signing of the Peace and National Partnership Agreement (23 September 2014)
- Press Statement expressing concern about the deteriorating security situation in light of the ongoing violence in Amran (11 July 2014)
- Press Statement condemning the terrorist attack of 5 May in Sana'a (5 May 2014)
- Press Statement condemning the terrorist attack of 24 March in Hadramawt (25 March 2014)
- Press Statement (27 November 2013)
- Press Statement welcoming the launch of Yemen's national dialogue (15 February 2013)
Security Council Presidential Statement, S/PRST/2019/9, 29/09/2019, expressing concern by developments in Yemen, and calling on all parties to excercise restraint
Security Council Presidential Statement, S/PRST/2017/14 , 09/9/2017, urging Greater Humanitarian Access to Famine-Threatened Yemen, South Sudan, Somalia, Nigeria
Security Council Presidential Statement, S/PRST/2017/7, 15/6/2017, calling on Parties in Yemen to Engage Constructively in Good-Faith Effort for Conflict Resolution
Security Council Presidential Statement S/PRST/2016/5 , 25/04/2016, welcoming the launch of peace talks that started on 21 April 2016 in Kuwait, and requesting the Secretary-General to provide a plan on how the Special Envoy’s office can further support the Yemeni parties.
Security Council Presidential Statement S/PRST/2013/3, 15/2/2013, welcoming the announcement of the launch of the National Dialogue Conference on 18 March 2013